18.1.11

The Quest Is On

Nutrition and healthy eating has been on the forefront of my mind for quite sometime. I once took a Nutrition 101 course and I think that forever sparked my interest in food. Additionally, having a mom that performs incredible feats in the kitchen was even more incentive to begin my own culinary adventures. 

Like any child, I was a picky eater and admittedly even now there are certain foods I will not eat: mushrooms, avocado, lamb, certain cheeses, eggs etc. Mostly it's the texture of the food that will either win me over or prevent me from further sampling. Yet, in some ways my palate has grown and I have become adventurous in trying the unusual (haven't had the chance to do it as much as I'd like). My food motto has morphed into "if I'm traveling to a country, I want to experience their local and weirdest cuisine." Pretty daring for me, considering getting sick in a foreign country is not my idea of a good time.   

So, with the help of some friends (read Saveur) I happily embarked on my food adventures. As my affinity for cooking and eating grew so did my sources of inspiration.

Julie and Julia
 

became for me a symbol of the trials, mishaps and delicious accomplishments experienced by one who goes, does and cooks.

Once others received word of my undertakings, I was only supplied with an even greater number of inspiration. Brian's mom subscribed me to Food Network Magazine, the first issue arrived in the beginning of January 2011 and there are delicious pancakes that I want to try my hand at making. Brian bought me The Good Housekeeping Cookbook and my mom bought me Around My French Table.  All in all, I am ready! The only factor stopping me from taking step one is the idea I ingrained into my own head- I want to eat healthy.

How do I combine health and flavor without cutting out ingredients? I don't know but am on a mission to find out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...